Saturday, June 5, 2010

How's Sam Doing??

Thanks so much for everyone's prayers and supportive emails/comments on Sam's Birth Story.  We appreciate each and every one of you and know that God is listening and hearing our prayers for Samantha Lynn!

Sorry for no pics, this is my last night in the hospital and I'm still not able to upload them quickly.

Now to the question everyone has been asking...How is Sam doing??

Since Sam has been born, she's been through a lot of stuff including 2 chest x-rays, multiple sticks at trying to get an IV in her, throwing up food, projectile pooping for daddy, and more :)  I can't remember what I wrote about in my last post, but they also have taken blood from her to get her genetically tested for something called Noonan's Syndrome.

Yesterday Sam was doing great!  We were able to go to the nursery and feed her with bottles, hold her and kiss her as much as we wanted to!  I was in the shower when they called us down to do the above for the first time and got out of the shower faster than I ever have before.  I couldn't believe they were going to let me hold our little girl!  Once they got me set up and handed Sam over to me, I just broke down.  It was so good to hold her after 2 days of not being able to and I was overjoyed!!!  She's so stinkin' cute and I just couldn't help but cry.  I was able to feed her from a bottle, and I sang songs to her, rubbed her little feet, held hands with her and just stared at her.  She's so amazing and such a blessing from our Father!

As the day went on, Sam was looking better and better.  They were upping her food intake from 25 mL to 35 mL to see how she would take it.  They also moved her from underneath the warmer to a regular bassinet when she was bundled up and regulating her own temperature! And they let us know we could bring her own clothes to put on her so she could be more comfy :) {Not that she has worn her own clothes yet, and has no idea what comfy is....wait till you learn about flannel PJ pants Sammy!!}  Anywho, we are proud parents :)

Fast forward to this morning...Sam didn't take the food upping too well.  This is where the throwing up started :(   One of the times I was holding her, and I'm pretty sure it all came up...Yummy!!  They didn't know if it was the amount or how fast the amount was being given to her so they slowed down her intake by setting a distributor to give it to her rather than a person.  They also backed her down to 25 mL {a baby her size should be taking 50 mL per feeding} and decided to put an IV in since she is behind on her fluid intake as it is. They want to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated.  After trying to get her IV in her hand, foot and head with no success, they ended up having to perform a little procedure on Sam.  They took her umbilical stump off and put the IV in through there.  Needless to say, we were not able to dress her in her own clothes because the line needs to be kept in plain sight in case it comes out or starts to bleed.  Since she can only wear a diaper, they moved her back under the warmers.  Also, since she has so many tubes coming out of her, we are not allowed to hold or feed her anymore :(  I'm so thankful for yesterday and I look forward to holding her again!  For now we are able to hold her hands, and rub on her, and talk to her whenever we want to!  We will take what we can get people!!  They have also moved her into the official "Special Nursery" so people will not be able to see her if they come up...even through a window.

Tomorrow they will do another chest x-ray to see how her lungs are developing.  They are also going to review her EKG to make sure her heart defects have nothing to do with her breathing.  They ruled that out earlier, but want to double check just in case.  They are also going to send off her blood work again to check her platelet count and to be honest, I'm not sure what else.

Needless to say, her pediatrician has said that Sam will not be going home with us tomorrow :(  She will potentially be here for another 4 to 5 days.  Boo!!!

And the next most asked question...How am I healing/feeling??

How am I feeling about leaving Sam at the hospital???  Sad, but thankful that God has placed the doctors and nurses in our lives who have the wisdom and patience to find out what is wrong with Sam and are not letting up till the get to the bottom of everything.  Everyone is so caring and I feel confidant that Sam is in good hands.  I also know that we can come up whenever we want to see her, and we don't live far, so we will be doing that for sure!

I guess that's it for now, I'll let y'all know if we have anymore updates before leaving tomorrow.  Please continue to pray everyone!!!!

No comments: